Development Electronic Engineer
The successful candidate will join Covesion’s Product Development Team. The role will be working primarily in an optics/optoelectronic laboratory environment developing and delivering optical systems for standard products and bespoke applications. The scope of the role covers the whole design life-cycle of control electronics and firmware for optoelectronic devices ranging from smart modules to full laser systems. In addition to the development duties, the role holder will be involved in product delivery activities to meet customer orders. The role holder should have attention to detail, enjoy following processes and demonstrate initiative to seek workflow efficiencies. Some general administration will be required as part of the role.
Why work for us
Our electronic engineers, product specialists and research scientists are part of a forward-thinking, rapidly expanding team, developing products for companies working at the leading edge of science including quantum science, academic institutes, defence, space and environmental science.
Covesion started trading in 2009 as a spin-out company from the University of Southampton in the UK. We have been trading successfully since this time establishing an international reputation for our products. Our team has many years’ experience in the manufacture of Periodically Poled Lithium Niobate (PPLN) frequency conversion products selling into both, R&D, and OEM customers. We have a range of stock crystals & waveguide products and can design custom chips for our demanding customer base. In the last 2 years Covesion has been transformed doubling product revenues and winning record amounts of UK innovation grants to develop our product lines further.
We pride ourselves on our R&D programme that fuels our growth. We hand pick our team from industry and academia ensuring that each employee is known and valued, and has a real opportunity to make a difference to Covesion and our customers.
- To work as part of the development team designing and delivering laser systems
- To be responsible for the design, development, build and testing of the system electronics and firmware in the system to supplied specifications
- To aid the design and delivery of other electronic products with Covesions’ existing electronic products group
- To develop and document production procedures
- To train and review production staff on procedures
- To work on applicable research and development activities including reporting activities
- Ensure the company polices including health & safety are adhered to at all times
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Relevant degree or equivalent knowledge gained through working in a similar industry
- Proficient in electronics design in analogue, digital, and microprocessor technologies
- Experience of low noise analogue electronics design, particularly for optoelectronics
- Proficient in C and/or C++
- Experience developing embedded systems and writing firmware for microcontrollers (e.g. PICs, AVR, STM32).
- Able to solve problems with minimal supervision
- Ability to work both as part of a team and as an individual in an optoelectronic environment
- Clear communication of complex problems
- Flexible approach to work
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Industrial design experience of PCB, electronics, firmware, and software applications
- Experience in the fields of lasers, optics, and optoelectronics
- Experience with lock-in / phase detection techniques, especially in optical applications.
- Experience of high-bandwidth closed-loop control system design
- Experience with implementation of laser safety interlock systems within electronic design
- Experience with RF electronics, particularly in optoelectronics applications such as acoustic/ electrooptic modulator drivers.
- Experience with mechanical design
- Experience with product documentation
- Experience of taking products through the full cycle from conception to product release.
Location: Unit F3, Adanac North, Adanac Drive, Nursling SO16 0BT, UK
Hours: 37.5 hours per week flexible between 07.00-18.00 Mon to Thurs 07.00-14.30 Fridays
Number of employees
Desired degree disciplines/class