Business Development Manager
The role will be working primarily in a technology rich sales environment. The role will focus on selling our existing product lines, managing opportunities from enquiry through to close and some financial reporting. In addition, the role will ensure we receive market intelligence regarding customer demands and our competitive position. The role is responsible for all customer facing aspects in the territory and will report to the Head of Product Sales (HoS). This role would be ideal for a technically qualified individual looking to start their career in Technical Sales.
Why work for us
Our optoelectronic engineers, product specialists and research scientists are part of a forward-thinking, rapidly expanding team, developing products for companies working at the leading edge of science including quantum science, academic institutes, defence, space and environmental science.
Covesion started trading in 2009 as a spin-out company from the University of Southampton in the UK. We have been trading successfully since this time establishing an international reputation for our products. Our team has many years’ experience in the manufacture of Periodically Poled Lithium Niobate (PPLN) frequency conversion products selling into both, R&D, and OEM customers. We have a range of stock crystals & waveguide products and can design custom chips for our demanding customer base. In the last 2 years Covesion has been transformed doubling product revenues and winning record amounts of UK innovation grants to develop our product lines further.
We pride ourselves on our R&D programme that fuels our growth. We hand pick our team from industry and academia ensuring that each employee is known and valued, and has a real opportunity to make a difference to Covesion and our customers.
- Respond to enquiries and work with customers to maximise our order intake
- Support the HoS with campaigns focussed on new customer acquisition
- Develop quotes, proposals and sales contracts consulting with the delivery team on operational matters
- Support the HoS with competitor intelligence and report new developments
- Manage the sales reporting for the rest of the sales team and the CEO
- Attending trade shows or conferences to exhibit products
- Keep abreast of the latest products and trends.
- Liaise with marketing colleagues on campaigns and product launches
- Support our website development
Knowledge, skills & experience:
- Relevant degree or equivalent e.g. Physics, Optics, Materials Science
- Ability to work as an individual but can work as part of a team based in the UK
- Ability to develop new long-term relationships with customers
- Keen to learn and grow as an individual with the ability to pick up new skills and knowledge rapidly
- Clear communication of complex problems to both customers and remote based colleagues
- Computer literate: Excel, Word and other Microsoft packages
- Flexible approach to work
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Knowledge of PPLN its manufacture and application
- Previous experience of selling PPLN based products
- Clean driving licence and own transport
- Exposure to R&D in an optics setting
- Post graduate qualification
- Second language – German or Chinese preferred
*Please note that the above job description does not include an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. Furthermore, it may change from time to time in accordance with your progression and business requirements.
Location: Unit F3, Adanac North, Adanac Drive, Nursling SO16 0BT, UK
Hours: 37.5 hours per week flexible between 07.00-18.00 Mon to Thurs 07.00-14.30 Fridays
Number of employees
Desired degree disciplines/class